Our B16a2 Golf Project.

Words and Photography: Daniel Allard.

With Covid-19 postponing the 2020 show season, we've actually managed to get back some time to get the garage/workshop finished and work on one of our most neglected projects, Emkayone. As of 2021, the car will have been with us for 10 years, so it only seems right we get it back and on the road for the anniversary.

For those who are too young for the glory days of the Edition38 and StanceWorks forums here's a little back story. 

In early 2011, we acquired an honest little MK1 that had been sat in a shed for a number of years. A 1983, 1.5GL with 2 past owners and 73k miles on the clock, oh, and buckets full of character! 

Once we got it into our hands it wasn't long till we had a play, a quick mechanical check-over, with some minor work needed and then onto the fun stuff; a set of FK coil overs and some BBS RM's to freshen it up. 

 As time went on we lowered the car and the following work was carried out: 

  • Engine raise
  • Gear linkage extended 
  • Flipped tie rod
  • Lower balljoint extenders 
  • Chassis notch

At the end of the 2012 season, the decision was made to "spice it up a little". Before we knew it the front end was stripped and the engine was out. Being into Honda's at the time and owning an S2000 the decision was made to go for a B16a2. Light, powerful and will fit neatly into the MK1's bay, which would make for a nice well-balanced package, perfect for some A and B road blasts.

Work slowly progressed and then in 2014, a project called Bricky (our Volvo 245) came along. Grown-up life and buying a property paused the process for a few years, but that didn't stop me planning and gathering the occasional part.

So when things quietened down early 2015, finally the MK1's B16a2 was ordered and progress resumed, engine mounts and driveshafts fabricated, floor-mounted pedal box fitted, gear linkage arranged and an incredible custom cat-back exhaust fabricated by the guys at Walton Motorsport. We will be getting some up-close shots of the exhaust when we remove it.


Then yup you guessed it, after that burst of productivity the MK1 got pushed back down to the bottom of the pile. 2017 bought another house move and then becoming a dad to a little girl and 18 months later daughter number 2 arrived. Then focusing my time on pushing RH, a full-time job, and dad life, the next three years flew. With the little spare time I did have, I focused on making the garage into my dream workshop. With the workshop nearing completion it was time to finally wake the mice and unwrap the MK1. Woken from its outside slumber and moved from the storage facility, I had it trailered home. 

So now to the present day, with the garage nearly finished and in more of a settled position, we get to work. First up, clear the car out of boxes of parts and give it a Meguair's birthday, its first proper wash since we took ownership! With most of the mouse poop, cobwebs, and grime removed it was pushed in.

Pushing the car into the garage was a huge personal achievement for me. The last few years have been family-focused so to have my own space to work on personal projects feels amazing, something I've been dreaming of since I lifted a spanner.  


Now to get back to the point I started 6 years ago!.

The car has been stripped back down, wings off, bonnet off, wheels off and for the first time jacked up and on axle stands. Most of the work that had been completed on the car has been carried out at my place of work. I appreciate having all the equipment and ramp to hand however it meant it had to be pushed out of the workshop and tidied up ready for work the next day. Something that easily added another hour or more.  

With the car up and stripped, it was time for the dreaded check over, and with the car being sat wrapped up outside for 6 years there was bound to be some additional rust to when I first parked it up. Rolling around on my back I was super pleased to find all the key areas I knew about were ok and the only parts that have been affected are the rear arches, something I was planning on repairing anyway. 

With the check over completed the next and only real big task left is to sort through the mountain of wires.

More updates soon.

July update 

July Update

Older Post
Newer Post

1 comment

  • Very much looking forward to seeing how this comes out. Good work lad. 👍🏻

    George Wade

Leave a comment

Close (esc)


Enter your email below to stay in the loop. Receive updates, access to exclusive deals, and more.

Age verification

By clicking enter you are verifying that you are old enough to consume alcohol.


Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.
Shop now